Friday 25 June 2010

Sonisphere day one

Well well well! Day one in turkey is over and my oh my was it fun! I am genuinely loving how different every single one of these trips are - from the music to the people and the surroundings and the language and the setting and the architecture and the climate and the currency - all good!
So onto Week 5... And for starters, Istanbul is beautiful. We are staying in a really gorgeous area of town right near a lot of old cobbled streets and stunning buildings. The city seems a mix of Arabic tiled decoration and unexpected scandanavian style chalets.
This morning we got up very early, had breakfast and then headed out on foot (with umbrellas) to explore these lovely surroundings. We ended up in the famous blue mosque, so called for it's amazing blue-tiled interior. We then headed to the main market/bazaar and had a wander around, down and through the maze of incredible winding shops and stalls and paths that are packed with brightly coloured scarves and bags and lamp shades and shoes and jewellery. On emerging from the market, the heavens totally opened and it started bucketting it down. Not just drizzle, but heavy drenching roof-pounding street-flooding sky gushing that saw the roads running with water at high speed... And Stephen, Anne and I got totally soaked.
I took this as my cue to jump in a taxi and head over to the venue to begin the days rocking.

First on my list of enjoyable chores was to go find Corey Taylor - singer of masked metal troupe Slipknot but performing today with his unmasked collective Stone Sour. I had interviewed him a few times in the past so it was nice to catch up and we had an amusing chat about square mosh pits.



After that I went and watched local band Blacktooth perform - a stodgy mix of Lamb Of God and Pantera (the latter of which they covered for a stadium uniting Walk).
Pentagram were up after that in all their doomy glory - adding a fitting Dio tribute in the form of Holy Diver mid set.
Post 'tooth I went and interviewed the legendary Alice in Chains. One of my favourite bands and genuinely lovely and positive people. We had a good chat off camera about Istanbul and the lure of the markets. They then took to the stage and were totally stunning. I was so moved by their show. Truly.



After that it was time for Rammstein and I met up with Stephen and Anne to enjoy the mad German show together. From giant fire balls to phallic cannons and sparkly treadmills and sparkler baths, it was a totally amazing and weird show and well worthy of a headline slot.
Now with ears ringing and legs tired I'm back at the hotel and ready to sleep.
I took so many photos of the bands - all of which will be fully uploaded on my return to LDN as well as interviews with the stars.
Sleep well pals.
Hasta maƱana
Katie x


- Posted by Katie P

Location:UtangaƧ Sk,Istanbul Province,Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment