Thursday 18 November 2010

Lamai street market

At night, "Walking Street" in Lamai fills with stalls and tourists visiting local cheap (and tasty) restaurants. After eating last night (a delicious green chicken curry with rice, fresh tropical fruit juice and water) I found this lovely lady called Lak.
Lak lives on Koh Samui with her two brothers and two sisters and her mother. The children in Thailand financially support their parents as there is no such thing as a government pension or welfare for elderly people.
Lak trained in Bali as a spa therapist, but in this low tourist season she makes extra money painting acrylic nails and nail designs in Lamai and Cheweng.
I went and sat with her and she painted my nails and told me all about her life. She is the same age as me and her boyfriend in Norwegian. They met on the mainland 3 years ago when they were next-door neighbours. Now he comes out to see her every other month and they are engaged. She says she'd love to go to Norway and visit him there, but that it would be very difficult to find work and too hard to learn Norwegian. They speak in English to each other and are very happy together. She was extremely nice and friendly and told me all about Koh Samui and how safe it is for tourists (compared to other areas of Thailand). I think we are going to meet up again next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment