Monday 26 July 2010

Freckle blog

Bonjour. So - using this photo taken by Sam Soares for Tilllate in Spain as an appropriate illustration - I'd like to talk about freckles.
I am a freckly person - and as such don't really tan at all. As the weeks of festivals go by, I'm getting covered tip to toe in little brown blobs. I like them! I think they're happy little childish things and make me feel a bit younger (while simultaneously proving I'm probably getting very sundamaged).

FYI - I do put on factor 30 every day! Twice!

Anyways.. I wanna talk about freckles because I was chatting to "the french" (as Amelie and Raphael have become affectionately referred to) yesterday, and they were teaching me their language, as has become a tradition each mealtime. However - when asking them what the French for "freckles".. They looked confused. They didn't know what I was referring to at all. I pointed to my face.. They replied "sun burn?".. Errr no, but cheers. I pointed to my arm... "birth mark?"... Err, wrong again. Pointed at my leg. "beauty spot?" nope.
I then showed them this photo from Spain. "oh, like.. Umm.. tache de rousseur!". I guess so.. What does that mean? "oh, it's like a ginger stain."
?? Eh?
"yeah.. It means stain on the body of red people."
Super.
So there you have it. Seems in France, I'd be tarnished as a stained individual. Good to know. And now you know too :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making my day, this is too funny...
    And educational at the same time, yay :)
    Growing up as a freckle faced kid in Germany, I always thought "Sommersprossen" (summer sprouts) was awful, but being stained definately tops that.
    -Steff

    ReplyDelete